Friday 23 April 2010

Make Up Trials 2


To make sure everything runs smoothly on the night of the performance, and to test the designs, we conducted a make up trials with the actual make up tools and designs on the performers. 


These pictures shows ruby with parts of her make up. 




















As planned, the base is white butoh make up, and then blue twirls were drawn by hand on top. I think it turned out adequate, but I want to make the design more interesting and I plan to do this by making the blue lines more “wavy” and adding more “twirls”. I also need to practice on making my hand steady when drawing the blue lines, so that they are smooth and even. 


These pictures shows parts of Calvin’s make up.






















I like the green colour and I think it goes well with the white butoh make up.

However, as Calvin does a lot of  back movements (especially in the introduction scene), I’m planning to slightly change his design and only have the green patterns on the back and shoulders. I will keep a similar atmosphere of the design (green and inspired by leaves to represent his scene envy) but make it more bold and less feminine. By doing this, i hope that the make up will help to enhance and emphasize his back movements. 


These picture shows part Ryan’s make up.




I had originally planned to use a square like pattern in yellow for his body art, but during 

this trial I realized that it didn’t work. 

First of all, the colour yellow is too soft and too hard to see on the white base. I tried to solve this by adding black lines alongside the yellow line, as seen in the second picture. But I think it looks messy and too different from the other's make up. This colour needs to be changed to something bolder and darker that can be seen on top of the white base.

Secondly, the square like pattern is too modern and too divergent from the other’s

 make up. The other designs are smoother and relates more to nature, whereas this one relates more to technology and modern times. 

To solve this, I will change his body art to something that’s more similar to Calvin’s. They both use their backs a lot during the performance, and both of them will perform shirtless which makes a back tattoo/pattern a much more suitable option. 




1 comment:

  1. Clearly you have a passion for make-up and you are very good. Well done Lisa.

    ReplyDelete