Monday 26 April 2010

Scene #1 Gluttony Reflection

Reflection- Gluttony


This week we started our first scene for our upcoming performance. Ron was our director and the theme was Gluttony. It was interesting to start a new topic, and also to see how my classmates are as directors, as I soon have to take on the same role. He followed a clear structure, that was easy to follow. He introduced a stimulus (video of a snake eating a pig etc) of which we then used to device a movement. He picked some of our movements (2-3 per image) which he though would fit his scene the best, and we then put these together to eventually create a complete scene. 

The first Image is “Gluttony Turning Into An Obsession”. His main aim for this image was to make the audience connect to gluttony. The second image is “Gluttony Taking Over The Body, Mind and Soul”. Here he wants to show the body and mind all contorted and irregular, showing the obsession with gluttony totally taking over the person. The third image is “Gluttony Over-Consuming the Soul, Leading to the Fall of Gluttony”. Here he wants to show that gluttony truly is a sin by portraying the disgusting, grotesque, and wrong part of it. The scene finishes with the performers acting as if they are vomiting (black organ). In this scene, everyone except Ronn will work as an ensemble to emphasize and portray different aspects of gluttony, while Ronn  is the main character affected by gluttony to the extreme. I think this character division is affective, as it will give the audience someone’s journey to follow specifically, while the ensemble help to emphasize and accentuate certain movements and aspects of gluttony. 

Through my previous dance experience, I was fairly confident movement-wise, but I found it challenging to create a movement based on a specific theme or image etc. I also feel that I have a tendency to make my movement too modern (more like modern dance steps instead of Butoh) which is something I need to work on to change, especially when I’m directing my own scene. 

It felt unusual to have a new director, and I now see how big of an influence the director has on the final piece, as well as the rehearsal environment. I believe the fact that we will work with different directors every week will add a new dimension to our rehearsal, make more varied and unpredictable-which can be either turn out to be a  benefit or a drawback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment