Thursday 29 April 2010

Directorial Concept

Directorial Concept:


In order to link all the different scenes together, create a sense of unisys, and keep each other focused, we’ve come up with a question that we aim to answer/explore through out our performance;


WHY DO WE WANT IT SO BAD?


As a director, it’s my job to guide the actors, explore and show how this question relates to pride. I can rephrase this question so that it fits pride;

Why do we become prideful? What drives us to be self-centered, self-loving and ignorant to other people? 


The main aspect of pride I’m going to focus on is falling in love with your self. I want to explore the aspect of falling in love with your own reflection, just like the story of Narcissism. In order to do this, I will incorporate water into my scene, preferable in a pool, bucket or if possible, projection. I believe the water will make it clearer for the audience to understand what’s happening as well as add several interesting and creative movements. Some movements will be directly based on Narcissism, while some will be based on a more modern take on pride.

An example of a more modern take of pride is is Divas, and this is an aspect I wish to focus on as well. To me, a diva is a extremely prideful person who disregards the needs of others, and primarily cares about her own appearance and well being. Divas are mainly females, but I want the actors to be inspired by divas when creating their movements, no matter their gender. To emphasize this aspect, I will incorporate diva inspired music for the entrance (e.g distorted catwalk music), as well as diva inspired movements (chin up, chest out, spread and distorted fingers etc.)

Through my scene, I want the audience to feel the arrogance and self-obsessed part of pride. I want the actors to show them how much they love them selves etc. 

To conclude, the main aspects of pride I want to explore is falling in love with yourself and divas. I will do this by introducing a stimulus related to this and basing the music and props used upon these aspects. 


No comments:

Post a Comment