Sunday 25 April 2010

Make Up Research




Make Up:


In order to work successfully as a make up artist in our upcoming production I conducted some research. During a previous dance show, I got in contact with a professional make up artist and I used this as my starting point for my research. These pictures are all taken from precious dance shows I took part in outside of school. The list of materials and techniques used are based on my own observations and memory of the process. 


Materials used:

Stencil

Fake Eyelashse

Glue

Body Paint


Basic Techniques:

Use a squared shape stencil and a sponge with moistured body paint to create the yellow square around the eye. Make sure the paint is spread evenly

Estimate and measure the fake eyelash so that it’s 

as long as the actual eyelid above the lashes. Cut it if necessarily.

 Apply glue to the fake eyelid. Then gently place it above the actual eyelashes.

Keep the eyes closed for a couple of minutes to let the glue dry.

Lastly use the same body paint to apply the lip gloss. 



Materials used:

Stencil

Green and Blue body paint

Powder glitter


Techniques:

 Place the stencil on the cheek, hold it steady.

 Use a sponge to apply the green body paint to one side of the stencil. 

 Use another sponge to apply the blue body paint to the other side of the stencil. See picture.

 Dip a moist sponge in glitter powder and use this to apply glitter around the colours on the cheek. 





The second picture required less materials and is easier to create once the stencil is made. It would therefore be easier for us to use this techniques, as it’s quick, effective and will look the same on everyone. However, it’s not very detailed and I believe one could achieve much more interesting concept and looks using body art.

The first image requires more materials and is a little trickier to recreate. However, I believe it creates a more affective and interesting overall look. I especially find the lips interesting, as they help to emphasize the colour used and it creates a more complete overall look. This technique, painting the lips as the same colour used in other areas, is something I wish to include for our final production. 


The make up artist that created these designs is called Kat (??) and for more research I looked up her website www.catscreation.co.uk. Here I found several impressive body art designs that inspired me to try out some by myself. 


I found these two particularly interesting. I’m planning to base the designs for the our final performance on similar designs as these. 

1 comment: